Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Two Very Important Holidays

Goodbye American holidays, and welcome British celebratory occasions such as Shrove Tuesday and International Women's Day!

I had never heard of either before I landed on these foreign shores, and I got a nice surprise today when my male work colleague bought lunch for me and another female colleague in honor of Women's Day. Who said chivalry was dead? But I admit that I did feel quite the cougar having a much younger man buy me lunch. =) As for what the holiday is all about, the title seems pretty self explanatory so congratulations to all you women on having that great XY chromosome!

Shrove Tuesday is a bit more confusing. I haven't really looked into it, but apparently this is the day where Brits get to cut loose and race around with pancakes in frying pans. Which is a bit confusing since it seems so much like an American thing to do. I mean, we are the home of IHOP and you can't hardly find pancakes on any British menu - you're lucky to find a waffle even. Maybe they don't enjoy eating them so much as just running them around town. Hmmm...

No comments:

Post a Comment