Monday, March 14, 2011

Decisions, Decisions - Goodbye Limbo

When we first signed up to move to London, the original plan was for 6 months, which stretched to 12 months, which then became 16 months, and then finally 18 months. It's already been 7 1/2 months, and I've been enjoying my time here and trying to squeeze in as much traveling and sightseeing as possible knowing that this will all come to an end at the end of February 2012. Or will it?

Up until now, we've had conversations in passing about where we'd like to end up living after our stint in London was over. We've entertained the thought of staying here permanently, but the thought of living so far away from our friends and family was a bit too much to bear. We both confessed a slight preference to return to California in spite of the fact that we much prefer our lifestyle here in London to the one we had in Los Angeles. We figured that we would perhaps move to San Francisco, which is much more us than LA, and we could easily and frequently visit our friends and family in LA.

Except...

It's come to light that it'll be much better for J's career if we stay here in London for the foreseeable future, and we had a serious discussion over brunch about what we ought to do. It'll be at least another 3 years here in London, and the question is should we stay or should we go. I never thought I'd be making such an important decision over waffles, but decide we did. To stay. In London. For another 3 years, at least. Whoa.

I've been living here as if it's only a temporary stint, which it was supposed to have been, and the implication of such a decision is only now starting to hit me:

(1) We'll be here for the Olympics.
(2) I need to buy a replacement food processor and electric toothbrush.
(3) I could start decorating our flat for reals.
(4) I need a permanent job.
(5) Unsubscribe from emails from US websites such as ruelala and gilt.
(6) I can slow down a bit on travel plans since I have at least another 3 years to explore Europe.
(7) I could actually go back to school and finish another degree if I'd like, without having to worry if the credits are transferable back to the States.
(8) I should take the conversion course to become UK qualified if I want to continue practicing law here in the UK.
(9) The fear that I'll start sounding like those Americans who've been here for a while - it's a very strange sounding hybrid accent that I think begins to develop after two years or so. A well-founded fear considering I know only two other Americans, and I mostly speak with native British speakers on a day to day basis.
(10) I should fetch my cat from my parents' home, where she's been living until we got back to the States.

I'm sure there are a ton of of other things that result from making this decision, but the most significant thing is that I am no longer in limbo. I can actually start planning for the future instead of putting things on hold until I return to the States since I'm no longer planning on returning.

How do I feel? Mostly scared and filled with trepidation. Which is very different from the excited feeling that I had when I first moved to London knowing that there was an end date in mind. The worst thing is being away from my family. I come from a very close knit family (both immediate and extended), and not being near my parents is the hardest thing, especially as they get older. I think it would be exponentially harder if we had or were planning on having children any time soon, but since we're not, now's the time to Carpe Diem!

Oh please, let this be the right decision.

No comments:

Post a Comment