Sunday, January 9, 2011

The British Museum

I've been a bit sick for a while now, and today was the first day in a while that I felt anything like my regular self. I did manage a long walk around Primrose Hill yesterday, but I came back feeling clammy and feverish. But after a good night's rest, I felt up for a visit to the British Museum since it seemed like a shame to spend such a beautiful day in our flat. And I just got a new digital SLR that I've been dying to try out. The space itself was absolutely stunning.

DSC_0024

DSC_0067

DSC_0039

Probably the most famous item belonging to the British Museum is the Rosetta Stone. There certainly was a large crowd around the case, but we managed to get a pretty good glimpse of the three different languages inscribed upon it: hieroglyphs, Egyptian demotic script, and ancient Greek.


DSC_0083

But my far and away favorite was all the Egyptian artifacts and mummies:

DSC_0050

DSC_0055

DSC_0053

DSC_0042

DSC_0045

DSC_0112

My other favorite was the Mildenhall treasure because I had read about its discovery many many years ago when I was a child, and I never thought I'd actually ever see the treasure in person. If you're curious, Roald Dahl wrote an excellent story about the treasure.

DSC_0063

DSC_0060

And of course the museum had a million other beautiful things to be amazed by. Literally.

DSC_0103

DSC_0070

DSC_0080 

Oh, and thanks to my older brother for telling me how to link photos from Flickr to avoid the horrible compression that occurs when you upload to Blogger!

1 comment:

  1. Wow, beautiful artifacts! I would love to see that in person one day :(

    ReplyDelete