Thursday, January 6, 2011

Back in the UK (Home?)

We flew back to London Sunday night after spending about eight days back home in LA. I'm not sure whether we can still call LA home, since we have a tenant in our westside condo and we no longer own a car. So is home London, where we have a very nice flat and fully topped up Oyster cards? Hmm.

We stayed with my parents in their house in LA, and although it was great spending so much time with my family, I missed having our own space sometimes. My parents are parents in the truest sense of the word - the kind that overfeed you, tell you to put on a sweater, and give you spending money whenever you go out. It sounds great until you realize that you and your husband are grown ass adult lawyers who get money from the 'rents for cab fare and dinner. One bonus - we didn't have to exchange any currency, woohoo!

The worst thing about being back in LA was the claustrophobic feeling that I just couldn't shake. It didn't help matters that we didn't have a car, which you absolutely need in LA in order to get anywhere. Even if we did have a car, the unanswerable question is where would we go? You can only go to the Grove so many times before you get sick of paying its exorbitant parking fees. And it seems silly to drive and look for parking for 20 minutes to go hiking in the canyons.

We did manage to hook up with some of our friends while we were there, but we missed out on seeing a lot of others since we were there for only a short while and lots of people had traveled back home for the holidays. Funny fact about most people in Los Angeles - I don't think a lot of people are actually from LA. I forgot how much I missed my friends until I saw them again, and we got the chance to catch up on the new stuff in our lives. Some good (pregnancy, new relationships) and some bad (layoffs, divorce). I always wondered how things would be different when we returned from our time in London, but it seems like things are changing a lot and very quickly too. Now, I'm almost scared to see what happens at the end of another year.

Potential expats to Micronesia and Hong Kong...

No comments:

Post a Comment