Saturday, September 25, 2010

Haberdashers

Yes, they do exist! I always read about haberdashers and the like in Dickens' novels and Jane Austen's characters are always running out the door for a bit of ribbon, but what I thought was an eighteenth century institution still exists in London circa now. And let me tell you, it's infinitely cooler than any Michael's or Tall Mouse I've been to.

It all started when we started hankering for some curtains in the house, and I had to run over to John Lewis on Oxford Street to see what kind of window coverings were available. The sheers they had in stock were fine, but the actual curtains kinda sucked. The designs were a little outdated, and they were way overpriced at around 90 GBP. Too bad Ikea is far away, and Bed Bath & Beyond is only a dream in the UK.

I noticed that there is an entire section devoted to fabrics in the middle of the department store, and I wandered around examining some of the selections. I don't know why Macy's and Nordstroms don't have this - I could've spend hours in there, and I think I may have.  I'm a closet DIYer, and I like to tinker around the house. My mom taught me to knit, crochet and sew when I was a little girl, and I was the only kid on the block who never left the house without my trusty knitting needles and ball of yarn. Sooo, I figured why spend a bunch of money on ugly curtains when I could pick out some much nicer fabric and custom make my own?

Only problem is I didn't spy any thread or needles around, and I asked the cashier where I could find some sewing materials. She then replied, "Why, we have a haberdashery up one floor." No Freaking Way. I went up the escalator, and Yes Freaking Way. I was surrounded by thread and yarn galore! I picked out my materials, and then I wandered to another haberdashery nearby.

Liberty is an awesome store on Regent Street. I don't think you could find it if you weren't looking for it, which explains why it was relatively empty when I visited. There are around five floors, and it has women's clothing, furnishings, bath products, home decor, and... a haberdashery! The materials are super girly and a bit expensive, but it's a crafter's fantasy come to life. It's kind of funny because the floors devoted to clothing are a bit trendy and you can see young fashionistas rifling through Marc Jacobs A/W collection. You go up a few stories to the haberdashers, and there are lots of little old ladies rummaging through the quilting patches. I guess you go up floors as you get older.

Anyway, here's a photo of the fruits of my labors:

Take that, nosy neighbors!
And now I'm starting to learn how to embroider and do some fancier needlework. Somewhere in me, the ninety year old woman is cheering.

No comments:

Post a Comment