Saturday, September 25, 2010

Falling for Autumn

One of the biggest gripes I have about LA is the lack of seasons. There's hot, warm, and kind of cool. I didn't notice it so much until I spent three years in Michigan where I got to witness the leaves changing color, and the rows of tulips emerging during spring. Winter wasn't as much fun, but the snow was beautiful and so apropos for the holiday season. And it felt wonderful to be inside in fleece pajamas drinking hot coffee with the radiators turned way up.

Summer is now officially over, and I've definitely noticed the change in the air here in London. The sun sets around 7ish now, whereas it didn't set until around 10 in the height of summer, and the air has a crisp snap to it instead of the slight humidity that was ever present during summer. Which all means, shopping. When I left Michigan, I basically threw away all of my winter clothes i.e. puff jacket, long johns, etc. It wasn't like I was ever going to need the stuff back in California.

And then I moved to London. And now I'm cold. Like really cold. Like I'm wearing stuff I used to wear as a student - no regard for whether it looks nice or anything, just that I don't freeze my butt off. For instance, J and I went out for dinner last night, and I wore a long sleeve shirt with my college sweatshirt and my North Face fleece zipped over the whole mess. And I was still cold.

It may be time for another puff jacket. And long johns.

No comments:

Post a Comment