Wednesday, September 8, 2010

The Full English

J and I spent the night at Threadneedles Hotel in the City and had breakfast at the resident Bond restaurant. Our breakfast was inclusive, and we had a choice of the full English or the Continental.

I would normally order the Continental, but when else would we have a chance to order a full English from a fancy restaurant? So we decided to be adventurous, and we both ordered the full English, which consisted of eggs, streaky bacon, sausage, black pudding, roasted tomato and mushroom, toast/ pastries, coffee or tea.

I got my eggs poached, and they came out on little toast rounds, which was really cute and delicious. But the streaky bacon was just floppy. I'm used to and I prefer crispy bacon, but these were just rolling and flopping all over my plate. The taste of the bacon was better though - less salty and more smokey. The potatoes were like slightly flattened tater tots and were a bit too chewy for my taste. And the thing I was dreading the most - black pudding. I really didn't want to eat it, but what's the point of going somewhere new and not trying everything about it, including the food? Well, it wasn't as bad as I anticipated, it just tasted like mushy sausage with an aftertaste that was a bit like dirty dishwater. And I didn't feel the urge to spit it out in my napkin or anything like that, and not just because I was at a fancy restaurant. The toast was to die for though - perfect texture and it came with 5 different kinds of jam!

I don't think I'll be ordering the breakfast again, but it was good to try something new. Shame on me, but I still haven't had fish and chips at a pub yet, although I did direct a very nice group of French schoolgirls on where they can get some. And I don't want to try those sandwiches with the little shrimp inside - it just ain't right.

No comments:

Post a Comment