Thursday, August 12, 2010

Random Pomp and Circumstance

Despite the nasty weather that was predicted for today, I left the flat this morning since the cleaning service was coming by. Where to go, where to go? Potter's Field down the street? Oxford Street for shopping? Marylebone to check out our new 'hood?

It's not much fun being a solo tourist - it's much funner when there's someone to share your awe and amazement. Since J was at the office, I decided to go somewhere we had already been to - Picadilly and St. James's Park. I packed my new Updike novel in case the weather improved enough so I could read at the park and set off.

Imagine my surprise when I crossed The Mall, and shortly thereafter, a brigade of redcoats on horses came marching after me. There were about 30 horses and riders, and they were being led by a motorcycle calvacade and a solo rider barking out marching orders. I don't know why. I just live here.

No comments:

Post a Comment