Thursday, August 5, 2010

Coffee and Money - Two Very Important Things

There are many things in my life that wouldn't have happened without coffee and money, for example, law school. I needed to stay awake to stay in the law school where I was paying tuition - see how that works? I needed both then, and I need both now.

The problem now is that I have money (I even got a brand spanking new wallet to accommodate my giant British money), and I'm trying to use some of that money to buy some coffee, but it's a no go at this point. Why? Because the English are PARANOID. Especially about their money. I can't really figure out why since they seem to have no problem forking over millions of pounds to the queen so she can buy ermine coats and fancy teapots and all the other accoutrement that a typical reigning monarch requires. 

In any case, I'm trying to buy groceries online, which is super convenient and relieves me from the necessity of carting 12 giant bottles of Scottish Spring water home on foot.  Never mind the fact that the coffee here is baaad, like so bad that IHOP wouldn't serve it, it's just that I need to have it. The grocery store's website is requiring me to do a separate verification with my bank, which is odd, but I comply. Or at least, I try to comply. Now I'm directed to contact my bank directly.

J takes over, and he explains the problem to the nice lady on the phone, who tells him that he needs to first register the card online in order to use it online. Sure, okay. Apparently, activating the card over the phone only permits you to use the card in person and not online. Why didn't we think of this? Of course you have to activate it multiple times in multiple ways! In fact, I can't think of anything funner than spending all my days playing with the super fun bank people who constantly obliquely accuse you of trying to commit bank fraud. It'd be less of a bother to actually rob the damn bank.

So when J tries to activate the card online, he's informed the account has now been locked.

It's so funny, I could cry.

No comments:

Post a Comment