Sunday, July 18, 2010

Things I'll Miss

We haven't even started packing yet, but I've already started reminiscing about all the things that I'll miss while we're abroad.

1. My family - I'm lucky that we're close and physically close enough to each other to have family dinners once a month. In fact, we're having another one this coming weekend for Father's Day. I'm going to miss my parents the most since I don't know any two people who are more parenty than they are. My mom's already called me to tell me that the cost of living in London is higher than it is here in LA, and to make sure that I don't try to pinch pennies by starving myself. Needless to say, I laughed out loud for 10 minutes after the call ended.

2. Thanksgiving - I made my first Thanksgiving dinner last year, and I made notes to myself on how to improve my turkey for this year. Now, it seems that I won't be eating, never mind cooking, any kind of turkey at all for Thanksgiving. Boo.

3. Target - No Target in the UK. OMG.

4. Costco - Okay, they do have Costco in the UK. The thing is, you usually buy in bulk at Costco - that's the whole point of Costco. But how do you get your 12 pack of chicken broth home if you have no car and have to carry whatever you buy onto the Tube?

5. Bathing suits - I'll miss you. I'm thinking of packing 1 or 2 just in case we happen to travel somewhere warm or an elusive warm day in London just happens to occur... this is a salute to eternal optimism.

6. Halloween - Eh, not so much. I haven't dressed up in over two years or so, and I doubt anyone's going to be trick-or-treating at our securely locked building filled with twenty somethings with no children or wee babies.

7. Fourth of July - On the fence about this one. I love the idea, but no one actually has a backyard in LA (too expensive) so it's not like people have big cookouts by the pool here as advertised in Target commercials.

I'm making myself sad now...

No comments:

Post a Comment