Sunday, July 18, 2010

$1K for 1 way to London

We bought our tickets today! We'll be flying out of here on July 31, and things are getting down to the wire in terms of getting our condo ready to rent to whomever is lucky enough to end up with our place.

I know I'm going to miss our condo tons, but I'm looking forward to finding a place in London that has awesome historical details. When I was in law school, I lived in the converted attic of the oldest mansion in town, and it was awesome. I had windows everywhere and in spring, the trees were gloriously green and filled with chattering squirrels that liked to chase each other. Instead of reading my casebooks, I spent way too much time sitting on my huge windowsills and doing a whole lot of nothing. Right now, I'm doing a whole lot of nothing in my living room with high ceilings, and I wonder if I'll miss it as much as I miss my law school apartment once I'm gone.

I guess I'm not doing a whole lot of nothing lately since I've been prepping our condo and researching living in London to death. I've come across a lot of blogs, and a lot of people are incredibly amusing writers. Who knew? I thought it was all evil and juvenile blogs out there like perezhilton and whatnot. But there is good reading out there, if you really look for it. It's fun reading the adventures of recent expats, and see what they're experiencing so that it's not too much of a shock when we get over there. I already know that toilet handles are different, light switches are reversed, doors usually push in rather than out, etc. I worry if the amount of research I'm doing is going to ruin my experience there. Maybe I should just chill out and let it all come as a pleasant surprise? But who am I kidding, I'm the kind of person for whom there is no such thing as a pleasant surprise. I like to plan EVERYTHING. My husband says I'm perfect for England since I hate chocolate with peanut butter (gross!) and I'm type A. I guess we'll find out in a month!

No comments:

Post a Comment