Sunday, July 18, 2010

Pinching my pennies (or is it pence?)

I'm a self-professed wheeler and dealer. I hate paying more for something than I really need to. All this translates into grocery shopping at multiples stores in order to avoid an unexplainable markup on some items in certain stores and getting the best deal around. Gelson's, I'm talking to you.

London is notorious for being an extreme expensive place to live. Now, coming from westside LA, I pretty much figured that the cost of living in London wouldn't be as shocking to me as it would be to someone moving there from, let's say, northern Michigan. But that doesn't mean I don't want to save some cash where I can, so I'm trying to stock up on things here that are either (1) hard to get in the UK, or (2) expensive to get in the UK, or (3) the US just plain does it better. So far, I've decided to stockpile the following goods:

1. Mascara - Paying 2x the amount for flirty lashes, I think not.
2. Dryer sheets - Apparently, people like to air dry their laundry over there, thereby skipping the need for dryer sheets altogether, which explains the dearth of Bounce in the UK.
3. Toothpaste - Read it somewhere. I know the British aren't known for their great dental work, but I've read that they don't have Crest in the UK. I'm really picky about toothpaste flavor, so this is a definite yes for me. Don't even get me started on cinnamon toothpaste. Gag.
4. Ziploc bags - Really? But they're so useful - why wouldn't you have them? Do British people not like to freeze and store things? They do have those tiny fridges...
5. Chocolate w/ peanut butter - I think the British got it right on this one, it just sounds gross. But J is a big Reese's fan so I'm going to hit up the drugstore for these before we go.
6. Clothes

I'm sure more things will come to mind as we get closer to our move date (only a month away!).

No comments:

Post a Comment