Thursday, June 2, 2011

Fun At Work

I'm sure I must have mentioned it before, but the stuff I do at my current job is BORING. Boring as in people regularly fall asleep at their desk sitting up with their hands positioned over the keyboard. The guy who sits next to me is currently suffering from terrible hayfever, and one of his extremely loud sneezes succeeded in waking up the girl who sits across from me who was enjoying a good snooze. She jerked herself awake and said, "Oh, you woke me up," and then we all had a good laugh.

So just so we're clear, my job is boring. Which means we're responsible for making our own fun...

We just got new water coolers in our office, and we must be a thirsty lot since it seems as though the bottle constantly needs changing. It's usually one of the burlier guys in the room who does the heavy lifting, but I gave one of the bottles an experimental lift yesterday and thought to myself, hey, this isn't so heavy. One of my friends caught me out, and when I boasted that the bottle wasn't that heavy, she had me agreeing to change the next bottle before I knew it. Serves me right for bragging.

It was later this afternoon when the bottle finally ran out and the big, burly guy sitting behind me got up to mount a fresh bottle on the cooler. My friend stopped him and told him about my grand plan to change the bottle myself. I should mention that he's more than twice my weight and has a good foot and a half on me in terms of height.

Anyway, he stood aside as I kicked off my heels before hefting the bottle up off the floor. Nice and steady, I had the bottle on the water cooler in two snaps. I was pretty pleased with myself, but I wasn't aware that the whole room had stopped their work to watch. Maybe they thought they would see me drop the bottle and watch a glorious torrent of water gush from the bottle, I don't know.  What I do know is that when I turned around, everyone in the room was grinning and then broke into applause while I rushed back to my seat blushing like mad. Never again.

No comments:

Post a Comment