Sunday, June 12, 2011

Pere Lachaise Cemetery

Okay, I know that it could be considered a bit odd, but I really like cemeteries. Not all cemeteries, just the ones that have been around for a very long while and are a bit overgrown and rambling. London has quite a few and it turns out, so does Paris.

After I had a very nice breakfast with J and saw him off to his meetings, I hopped onto the Metro to visit one of Paris' more famous cemeteries, the Pere Lachaise. It started raining right when I arrived, and the dreary weather seemed very appropriate. The cemetery was quite empty, and only a few tourists had ventured out in the cold and wet weather to look at some gravestones, which allowed me to roam around in peace and quiet.

And roam I did! the cemetery is absolutely huge and filled with long cobbled avenues and paths, and there are even street signs to direct your way.
_DSC0056

_DSC0013
Lots of famous people are buried here, such as Jim Morrison, Oscar Wilde and Frederic Chopin, and you could navigate to each gravesite using a map from the information center. I wasn't much into the grave-surfing, and I decided to just wander about and enjoy the peace and quiet in the heart of the city. The rain made the cobblestones a bit slippery, so I was careful to not slip as I strolled about for a good two hours or so.

Some of the sculpture was really interesting...
 _DSC0021
_DSC0034  
Some of it was quite sad...
_DSC0010_DSC0015
_DSC0043
The cemetery was pretty amazing, and I would've spent more time there, but I was getting quite anxious to see the flower market on Ile de la Cite since it had been closed the last time I was in Paris so I bid adieu to those at rest and hopped back on the metro.

No comments:

Post a Comment