Sunday, June 26, 2011

Summer in a Day

Everyone I know, myself included, has been moaning about the terrible weather we've been having. The weather's been bipolar, sunny one minute and then storming like mad the next. Just when I had finally despaired of having a summer at all, a day like today comes along to reassure that summer still exists, even if for just one day.

It was sunny and 30C (~88F) today - a freaking miracle. J and I packed a large beach towel, some water and reading materials - all things you would normally pack to take to the beach. Except we're in London, so we headed over to Regent's Park instead to enjoy some of the lovely weather. Everyone else in London had the same idea, and the park was absolutely packed. People were lolling about in the most unlikely of places, and many of them were dead asleep, including one woman whose shirt was slowly sliding off to the amusement of the people walking by.

There were loads of people all dressed as if they were at the beach - women in swimwear and the men in just shorts. And all of our pale pasty bodies were slowly roasting under the hot sun. I saw a lot of sunburns, and now I'm the proud owner of a red pair of shoulders. I guess my skin got pretty shocked at the prospect of sun, but it was totally worth it!

No comments:

Post a Comment