Friday, April 1, 2011

Wasabi Fridays

Without fail, the law firm I currently work at serves fish and chips for lunch in the cafeteria every Friday. I don't know about you, but I don't really like finishing off the work week with a big dish of brown, fried food. Weekends are for fitting into your cute (translation = much tighter) clothes, and food boiled in oil for several minutes isn't going to help a sister out any.


I was pretty hungry by the time lunch rolled around so a yogurt with fruit just wasn't going to cut it so I decided to hit up Wasabi for some Japanese takeaway. I did the same thing last week, and some of my work colleagues and I decided that we're going to do this every Friday in silent protest of the chef's insistence on fish and chips.

The Brits do takeaways very well. Note that they don't call it "to go" or "takeout," it's always a takeaway, and it usually costs less than to dine-in, which I think is a total rip. In any case, there are a lot more choices here than in the US. Takeout food in the States invariably reminds me of hamburgers, pizza, Mexican food, and sandwiches if you're lucky. Here, you can get sandwiches from Pret, Japanese from Wasabi or Itsu, chicken bowls from Nando's, croissants and pastries from Paul's or Patisserie Valerie along with the ubiquitous American chains you can't escape anywhere in the world.

Takeaway sushi did throw me for a loop at first, but I'm getting quite used to it - I really like getting a takeaway seaweed salad for lunch! Of course the quality's not the same as an actual sit down restaurant, but it's nice to have a healthier option than Taco Bell. I admit that they do look a little funny - the sushi comes individually wrapped in plastic, and they almost look a bit fake but still very very edible.

No comments:

Post a Comment