Friday, April 15, 2011

Pregnant or Just Fat?

That was the question I was asking myself on the Tube last night as I rode home on the Jubilee line. By some miracle, I had snagged a seat and was enjoying a nice chat with my work colleague seated next to me when a woman came on board and stood right in front of us. Since she was standing, and I was sitting, I had no choice but to stare straight at her belly. Her big belly.

Although I noticed that she had a larger belly, I couldn't figure out whether she was pregnant or just carrying leftover holiday weight or something. Winter just ended, and I'm sure we're all still carrying a few extra pounds so I couldn't just assume that she was pregnant. I tried to discreetly scan her up and down for some indication one way or another, but she wasn't wearing one of those pregnancy badges that the Tube hands out to pregnant women.

I felt terribly rude sitting there and I would've offered her my seat immediately if I could just tell one way or another. Imagine if she wasn't pregnant, and I had offered her my seat? And it seems weird to ask a perfect stranger whether they're pregnant, especially if the answer is no.

All I knew was that I was getting off at the next stop, and I made a beeline for the exit before the train stopped so she could sit down in my seat just in case she was pregnant. After a discussion with my colleague today, we decided that the woman probably was pregnant judging from the more pissed off than the average Londoner face when no one offered her a seat. Oops.

No comments:

Post a Comment