Monday, March 24, 2014

Spring Cleaning and Cuts

I've got two weeks off before classes start up again, and the timing is just right for a massive spring clean. The weather has been lovely, but I've been too busy to enjoy it. Those baseboards aren't going to clean themselves!

I was pretty proud of the job I had done, but then I received my new issue of Martha Stewart, and I realised how much I had missed. That woman is insane, by the way. So now I'm roaming around the flat with a dust cloth attached to my mop handle trying to dust my ceilings. 

I managed to get most of it done, and I moved on to practicing my brother's wedding cake, which I'm making for him. I must have gotten overexcited at the prospect, and my knife slipped while I was leveling off the cake layers.


I cleaned out the wound and applied pressure, but the cut was pretty deep and it continued to bleed. I called J at work, and he thought I should head to the a&e. I really didn't want to go, but I've been told before that I have a ridiculously high pain tolerance. I decided to suck it up and head to the hospital. It was a good thing I did, as it turned out I cut through an artery, which explained the non stop bleeding.


It was my first time using the nhs, and the doctor was fantastic. The wait time, however, was decidedly not. The whole thing took nearly 5 hours! Luckily, J came to keep me company after he finished up at work and brought me lots and lots of popcorn to aid the healing process.


It felt a bit odd to be munching on popcorn while people were moaning in pain in the background, but I was waiting for a long time and getting hungry!

I had a lot of fun posing with my bandages and J amused himself by naming the various implements that made an appearance. There were sterile stingies, alcohol ouchies, etc. since he knew how much I was dreading the sting of antiseptics. Meanie.


It looked like I would have to get stitches since my finger wouldn't stop bleeding, even after applying a coagulant, but I asked for butterfly stitches instead. The doc was kind enough to oblige, and my finger is on bed rest for a week. In the meantime, I just look like I really like to point, and everyone looks pretty horrified when they see my misshapened paw.

It doesn't hurt, and it's really more itchy and annoying than anything else. I can't wait for the bandage to come off!

No comments:

Post a Comment