Monday, June 4, 2012

Bank Holiday at the South Bank

J and I accidentally on purpose forgot to celebrate the Queen's Jubilee, but we definitely wanted to take full advantage of the bank holidays on Monday and Tuesday.

I knew the South Bank was having a World Food Festival, and I didn't have any trouble convincing J to accompany me.

P1010116.jpg

All I needed to say was: Do you want mac 'n cheese or hot dogs for lunch?

P1010122.jpg

Of course, there were tons of other things on offer...

P1010136.jpg

P1010127.jpg

And my favourite - FROYO! Too bad it was too cold for ice cream. Seriously, everyone was bundled up in coats and scarves. Whatever happened to summer and global warming?!

P1010139.jpg

But I consoled myself with some churros dipped in melted chocolate. Yum.

P1010135.jpg

After we finished stuffing our faces, we walked along the river and caught some interesting sights on our way to the Tate Modern.

There was a lovely group playing to the crowd outside the National Theatre...

P1010149.jpg

And a photo shoot going on in the skate park...

P1010143.jpg

It was a pretty long walk, but we finally found ourselves in front of the Tate Modern, London's premiere modern art museum.

P1010155.jpg

Entry is free, so we wandered in to have a look-see at what the fuss is all about. My initial impression was that the space is absolutely huge, and the bottom two floors look pretty much like an airplane hangar. The floors above are smaller but the common areas areas are much more interesting.

P1010159.jpg

P1010168.jpg

The art itself was... hmm. Some of the exhibits were pretty interesting, but some of the other bits were just "huh?!". I took some snaps of the examples of why I find it difficult to like modern "art"...

A plain black canvas...

P1010173.jpg

Air conditioning ducts...

P1010170.jpg

Maybe my eye isn't sophisticated enough to appreciate these pieces, but J and I both had enough after a few hours. I think J's favourite part of the whole museum was the BBQ truck set up right outside the entrance.

P1010178.jpg

We walked across the Millennium Bridge, which J likes to refer to as the "Harry Potter bridge" since it was the one that got attacked by the Death Eaters in the film, and hopped on the Tube to head home. Severe delays on the Central line. Of course.

P1010181.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment