Friday, June 15, 2012

In Defense of Cooking

Since I'm not working at the moment, I've decided to take my housewifely duties quite seriously, especially in the kitchen. No more sandwiches and crisps or takeaways for J! I'm pretty sure he cries himself to sleep at night at the prospect of oven-baked kale chips, but I sleep fine so all is well with the world. Hehehe.

When I lived on my own, I ate mostly yogurt and raw fruit and vegetables. Not because I was on some weird diet, but more because I couldn't cook and I just couldn't be bothered. I didn't even own a microwave, and kitchen appliance stores like Sur La Table just scared me. I couldn't figure out what most of those things were for. Example:

Once I got married, I decided that I should learn to cook. It's an essential life skill, and one I should've picked up before the ripe old age of 28. You can't eat raw food forever, it turns out, and your husband probably won't go for it. I know mine didn't.

My first attempt at baking resulted in a spectacular chocolate cookie fail when I thought baking soda = baking powder. That turned out to be so not true. But I eventually figured things out in the kitchen, and I'm pretty good about getting a healthy meal together for the two of us.

And then along came a book by Michael Pollen - In Defense of Food. It's a pretty interesting read about the "food" that we eat today and the associated negative health effects. His advice? Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants.

It sounds easy, but it turns out that most conventionally grown fruit and veg lack the same nutrients as their organic counterparts. Major bummer, especially since organic costs so much more.

Solution? A CSA box! I put in an order for a fruit and veg box to be delivered weekly from Abel & Cole. They pile organic and seasonal fruit and veg in a box and deliver it straight to your flat. The prices aren't that much higher than that of conventionally grown produce, and eating seasonal, locally grown food is much better for you and the environment. Just think of it this way: You're buying nutrients, rather than calories.

My delivery came early, and I jumped out of bed to check out the goods. And the goods were good.

P1010300.jpg

I usually dislike cooking and see it as more of a necessity, but looking at all the fresh produce got me moving. Once I spied the carrots, I decided to make a hummus dip.

P1010303.jpg

I'm thinking J wouldn't mind eating raw carrots so much now...

P1010305.jpg

One of my most hated chores is prepping vegetables, and I thought I'd get it all out of the way in one big shebang. I spent all morning washing and chopping and julienning and mandolining, and now my refrigerator looks like this:

P1010315.jpg

Truly, the stuff of J's nightmares.

But heaven to me is a bowl of freshly washed fruit.

P1010309.jpg

Don't worry, he'll live. Since I made biscotti and roast chicken - I'm not that cruel...

P1010319.jpg

P1010323.jpg

Except for the fact that I ate it all while he was at work. Muahahahaha!

No comments:

Post a Comment