Sunday, February 27, 2011

TK at the Opera

Guess where J took me tonight?


That's right, the opera! Specifically, Madam Butterfly at the Royal Albert Hall.

The last time I was at the opera was when I was in eighth grade, and my music teacher picked me to go to an Italian opera as a reward for having perfect pitch. My teacher would play a note on the piano in the beginning of each class, and we would all try to guess what note she was playing. Thanks to years and years of unwanted piano lessons, I got it right every time and won a veritable treasure trove of lollipops. I don't know which was better - the lollipops or the trip to the opera.

In any case, I didn't have to identify any notes or anything to go to the opera this time since J decided to surprise me with the tickets. =)

The story is a tragedy written by Puccini in 1904 about a Japanese woman (Butterfly) who falls in love and marries an American naval captain, who later abandons her with promises to return. After three long years of waiting, he finally does return, but with an American bride that he considers to be his true wife. The pair ask Butterfly to give up her son to them, and she agrees and kills herself before they return to collect him.

We got to the venue just in time, and I noticed people had dressed with care to attend the opera. I've been to a play, a musical, and now an opera in London, and no one has ever been dressed up for any of it but for the opera. The men were in jackets and ties and the women had on dresses and heels. J and I? We were in jeans and jeans. But I did put on some earrings for the occasion. =)

J had sprung for the good seats, so we got a clear view of the set, which was absolutely beautiful. The set was flooded with water, and a Japanese house sat on a platform in the middle of the stage. The stage is circular with the orchestra abutting the rear of the stage, and the singers made full use of the entire space throughout the opera.



The acoustics in the Hall are supposed to be the best in London, and the singing was incredibly beautiful. It was a sad story, and very intense through much of it, and I could see why the woman sitting next to me was wiping way tears at the end of the performance.

As for me, I didn't cry but I was inspired to sing in song for the rest of the night. J decided to join in, and so we bellowed an operatic conversation to each other all the way home. Cause that's just who we are. =)

No comments:

Post a Comment