Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Korean Food at Asadal

Instead of going for a run in the park, I met my friends for lunch today at Asadal, a Korean restaurant located right by Holborn station. Wait, does this make me a lady that lunches? Very cool, I've always aspired to be one of those!

Anyway, I was a little wary since my last Korean food expedition in London was a bit disappointing, and I had written off having any Korean food until another visit back to LA. Turns out, my fears were unfounded - I've finally found some good Korean food in London!

First off, the decor is pretty nice and on par with a nice restaurant as opposed to just being a place to eat. Second, you can tell it's an authentic Korean restaurant because it has grills built into the table and a bell you ring to call your waitress over. Third, they don't charge extra for the sides - free banchan all around, woohoo! And last, they serve you a bit of fruit at the end of your meal. Just like how Mom does it. =)

I ordered the meat bibimbap, and it was exactly what it was supposed to be. Except for the fact that they brought the tiniest amount of spicy sauce to mix in with it, but no points off for that since I always have to ask for extra spicy sauce, even at restaurants in K-town back in LA.

My friends ordered the jap chae, which came with a side of salad and white rice and a small serving of spiced daikon radish. I don't think they had tried the dish before, but they got the brilliant idea of mixing everything on their plate together and then eating it. I couldn't help smiling as I watched them swirl it all together, but they pronounced it to be delicious, so we were all smiling at the end. I was responsible for identifying all the bits that came out like the lotus root and the daikon radish, and it was fun to be the Korean expert since I so rarely get to be one.

It was definitely nice to be eating good Korean food again, and I think I'll be bringing J around the next time he starts craving Korean food. What a great find!

Oh, and I found out that the food stand outside of the Louvre in Paris - Paul - is actually a chain, and they have locations in London! I can't wait to visit it again for some hot molten chocolate - yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment