Monday, November 15, 2010

A Wet and Wild Run

After months of relaxing at home and eating Cadbury chocolates and generally just getting fat, I've finally gotten my lardass in gear and went for a run in Regent Park yesterday. Let's just say, it's been a while, and I think J might still be a wee bit mad at me for picking one of the windiest, rainiest day we've had in a while to start my outdoor running regime.

My friend Caleb and I would run outdoors when I was in Ann Arbor and I loved it, but we switched over to the gym after a few months due to cold weather and shin splints. Although swimming laps in the pool was alright, I didn't really enjoy the constant smell of chlorine in my hair and splitting lanes with random middle-aged thrashers. As soon as the weather warmed up, we were back outside running again, and I joined a very posh gym once I moved back to California (word on the street was that Kobe worked out there).

I've been making excuses to not run outside up until now - it's rainy, it's windy, it's cold - you get the picture. Joining a gym seemed stupid since the nearest gym is farther away than the park, and I'd feel silly paying exorbitant monthly fees to run on a treadmill when I can run outside. So running outside seemed like the logical solution but it's been a while since I've run outdoors and never in weather this cold.

Instead of continuing to make weather excuses, I decided to man up and went to the Nike store on Oxford Street to pick up some cold weather gear.  I ended up picking up a water resistant jacket, some gloves, and a headband that covers my ears. I looked like some sort of reflective Nike billboard, but at least I was warmish.

As for the run, it was pretty miserable weather-wise with rain blowing into our faces and having to watch out for slippery leaves and mud patches, but other than that, it felt great. I forgot how good it feels to just flat out run. I won't lie, sometimes it was hard to catch my breath, but I kind of expected it after a three month hiatus from running. Anyway, we ended up running a little further than we expected, a little over 3 miles, and both of us were a bit sore this morning. Regardless, I'm headed out again today with reflective clothes and all. The worst part is actually leaving the flat and facing the cold weather kitted out in lightweight running gear, but once I'm warmed up, I feel like flying.

No comments:

Post a Comment