Wednesday, November 3, 2010

London Fashion

Just popping into Waitrose for some pork chops.
I haven't really had much reason to change out of my oversized shirts and leggings I've taken to wearing around the house, but that doesn't mean I haven't tried to figure out what the Brits consider fashionable. Back in LA, I wore a daily uniform of t-shirt, cut-off shorts, and a sweatshirt if it was chilly, but I'm getting the feeling that I might stick out a bit if I didn't figure out what to wear to blend in a bit more. All the women here seem to dress just to do the weekly shop - I've yet to encounter anyone in sweats or anything that you could sleep in comfortably out and about. Tights, boots and a funky scarf seem to be de rigeur.


The English are supposedly known for being eccentric dressers, and I suppose the evidence is walking down the streets of Covent Garden, Oxford Street, and the new mall they just opened in the City by St. Paul's Cathedral (weird location, I know). I kind of expected that what's considered fashionable varies from place to place, but it's becoming much more common to see the same things across country borders with the advent of the internet. But is it really, I wonder.

Some of the UK trends I've observed in person and in magazines:
  • Snoods
  • Tapered pants
  • Capes
  • Brogues
  • Shorts layered over tights
  • Camel coats
  • Quiffs
  • Gilets
  • And for the fellas - Pants rolled up over the ankles
You can skin one yourself. Or buy it at Asos. Depends on how Daniel Boone you feel.
I wonder what's going on back home? It's starting to get pretty cool, and this LA girl needs to stock her wardrobe with shirts that actually have sleeves and jumpers (sweaters). I'm making it a policy to only buy UK brands such as TopShop and Reiss, because the US brands that have a presence here charge the same prices as in the States, except with a pound sign in front of the price! Ever hear of the exchange rate, assholes?!

No comments:

Post a Comment