Friday, May 10, 2013

Spain at Southbank

There's always a ton of stuff going on in London, and J finally had some free time so I convinced him to venture out with me to the Spanish food festival at Southbank. I miscalculated our tube stop, and we got off a bit too early and popped up outside of the National Gallery, where there was some kind of Indian festival going on. This is why I love living in London so much!

P1010881.jpg

There was a concert, which inspired J and I to try to bust out some Bollywood dance moves (fail), and we nabbed some free samples of mango lassi.

It's a fairly short walk to Southbank from the National Gallery, but thanks to a dangerous combination of terrible sense of direction and incurable curiosity about side streets, the walk ended up bieng much longer than J had counted on. Oops.

Thankfully, the weather was more than pleasant and J was in a forgiving mood since he knew we were headed to food. By the time we got there, the place was positively heaving with people!

P1010887.jpg

The stall holders from La Boqueria, the world famous market in Barcelona, were the main draw of the Spanish food festival. We had visited the actual La Boqueria when we were in Barcelona, and I remembered the fabulous array of meats and fruits. Unfortunately, the stalls were a bit of a letdown and much too crowded.

We headed toward the parking lot in the back, where I knew there would be fewer crowds and better food, and we hit pay dirt. J got his favourite at La Raclette, which is a dish of potatoes, onions and cheese with broiled cheese scraped on top, and I scored a risotto ball and stew wrap that was ginormous and crazy good. We finished off our gorge-fest with a salted caramel brownie.

P1010884.jpg

Needless to say, I was completely forgiven by then. We could barely walk with our bellies so full so we decided to head back home. We encountered a women's acapella group performing "California Dreaming" by the Eagles along the way. It was lovely, and we stuck around for a few more songs before hoofing it to the tube stop.

P1010886.jpg

London, thanks for reminding me why I love you.

No comments:

Post a Comment