Friday, July 29, 2011

Of Italian Men

As I mentioned before, my office is a very international one, full of lawyers from pretty much everywhere. We recently got an influx of male, Italian lawyers, and it's been a wild ride ever since. They're mostly from northern Italy, but we've also got a Sicilian up in the mix so I would say that it's a pretty fair representation of Italian men.

Observation #1: They're all very slim, which is weird because I thought they'd all be a little rotund with all the great Italian food there is to eat. Then I found out that they've all lived in London for quite some time, and it all made sense. Their moms aren't around to cook for them and there's no great Italian food around in London, so they're probably just wasting away. I've heard them complain once or twice that the pasta is always overcooked.

Observation #2: They all have really great hair. It's thick, it's shiny, and I've had to stop a colleague or two from touching those luscious locks. We've even asked them what they use in their hair, but they deny everything and just credit soap and water. Lies.

Observation #3: They all smoke. Every so often, one of them will get up to round up the others, and they'll all head outside for a smoke. If you peek out of the window, you can see them all lined up in their slim-cut suits standing around and smoking with grim expressions on their face. My Greek friend joins them most of the time, and I've told him once or twice that they look like characters from Reservoir Dogs.

Observation #4: They're all very flirty. Amazingly, incredibly, awesomely flirty. When I leave the office nowadays, I hear lots of "Ciao, bella" following me out the door. One of the Italians also has a penchant for winking at me whenever I walk by, despite the fact that we've never been introduced. It's out of control but hilarious at the same time. They're like this with the women, but men pretty much get the cold shoulder from them with the exception of the Greek and a Spaniard. The Aussie and Kiwi men seem a bit put out by this, but no fisticuffs yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment