Monday, July 25, 2011

An International Office

I work with a bunch of lawyers from all over the world on my current project. Some of the countries that are represented in my room alone include:

Los Angeles, USA (of course!)
Boston, USA
Birmingham, UK
Bournemouth, UK
London, UK
Kyoto, Japan
Melbourne, Australia
Sydney, Australia
Tasmania, Australia
Capetown, South Africa
Italy
Madrid, Spain
Stockholm, Sweden
Auckland, New Zealand

And those are only the people whose origin I know! Some of the cool things that happen as a result of working in such an international office is learning a lot about their native country and trying some of the food! For example, I've had bread baked by a Spaniard (in Spain, no less), dolmas made by a Greek, and chickpea curry made by a Punjabi.  All prepared by my co-workers' mothers. =)

The other thing we like to do is try on each other's accents. I can now do a fair imitation of an Afrikaans accent from Capetown, but I refuse to try any of the others, including a British accent - they're too hard! In any case, we have a new project manager who's from New York, and he's heard that there is an American girl on the project. Luckily, he doesn't know who it is yet, and I've been trying to coach one of my British friends in their American accent to try to prank the new guy. Result - epic fail! I never would've thought that an American accent would be so hard!

No comments:

Post a Comment