Saturday, December 4, 2010

Les Miserables at Queen's Theatre

J's been wanting to see Les Miserables since forever, so he decided to splash out some major cheddar for some primo seats at the Queen's Theatre last night.


After a very cold and long walk down Regent Street, we finally reached the Queen's Theatre, which is right by Picadilly Circus. Needless to say, there were tons of people roaming the pavement, but we got there in the nick of time. The theatre itself is absolutely beautiful and feels really plush and intimate - I doubt there's a bad seat in the house. The decor was in tones of burgundy and turquoise with gold gilt and velvet coverings, making the place just absolutely decadent.

The production was amazing and took place on a rotating stage, which made the stage seem a lot larger since the actors could literally run around in circles without looking like they were just crazy. The show took about 3 hours, and the whole thing was in song. I really enjoyed Eponine's performance, and she totally stole the show. And I had the added luck of not having to see a Jonas brother play Marius - thank goodness.

The only problem is that Les Miserables is one of my favorite books, and it's always difficult to see a translation of a much beloved novel for the stage or screen. Especially when they're trying to fit 1300 pages of love triangles and revolution into a 3 hour show. I mean, even Harry Potter decided it needs two 3 hour movies to do justice to the last book in the series! Some of the characters like Cosette and Marius came across a little flat due to the compression, and I think I may have enjoyed it more if I wasn't constantly comparing it to the novel. But all in all, it was a wonderful production, and the music was absolutely beautiful.

The song "On My Own" is still stuck in my head...

No comments:

Post a Comment