Monday, October 25, 2010

It's Beginning to Look A Lot Like Christmas

Except it's not. Not even close, in spite of the fact that temperatures have dropped to a chilly 10-12 degrees (Celsius, thank goodness, it's not that cold yet). But that doesn't explain why there have been Christmas decorations everywhere for the last three weeks or so. If you walk down Oxford Street, there are giant ribbons and presents covered in fairy lights floating high above the streets. I can't go grocery shopping without walking past stacks of chocolate Santas and reindeer at the local grocery.

Back in the States, it's almost a given that you can't start spreading the holiday cheer until the day after Thanksgiving. And fie on those overeager neighbors who insist on putting out their inflatable reindeer before that time. So Thanksgiving is more important than just being an opportunity to roast an entire turkey and eat too much pie, it's the official jump off for Christmas/ Hanukkah/ Kwanzaa celebrations.

For obvious reasons, there is no Thanksgiving in the UK. I don't think they really understand the point of the holiday, and I've been told that they think it's an over-hyped rehearsal for a real holiday, Christmas dinner. Obviously, they've underestimated the importance of Thanksgiving. Without any clear start to the holiday season, they've jumped the gun, and we all know what happened to the hare - it pooped out early in the race.  The holiday season is a marathon, not a sprint, what with all the present-buying, gingerbread-making, and tree-decorating that happens.

I love Christmas, probably more than the next guy, but I think I have some serious competition for who loves Christmas more.  I've come across more than a few year-round Christmas shops in the UK, and I've heard the celebrating here is something fierce.

I'm excited - I just hope I can keep it up for another two months...

No comments:

Post a Comment