Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Lock, Stock, and Two Smoking Barrels

It was about time for our annual sojourn to the countryside to do some clay pigeon shooting, so I was more than ready when J was invited to Holland & Holland by a work colleague. Lucky me, I usually get to tag along to these outings, and I was more than pleased to break out my hunting jacket for the occasion.

I think this could be one of my favourite photos - our best imitation of countryside gentry.

P1020475.jpg

We chilled out in the reception room as our instructor got our shooting equipment ready and warmed up with some hot coffee as some stuffed animals looked on. J got to use a 12 gauge shotgun, while I stuck with a smaller 20 gauge.

P1020466.jpg

We had an hour of shooting scheduled, and we were lucky that they could fit us in as it's currently gaming season and hunters were out in full force with their deer hunting rifles. Our instructor was a former instructor for the US military so he was full of amusing anecdotes in between teaching us how to shoot properly. A bit overqualified to teach a couple of lawyers to shoot for an afternoon, but I wasn't complaining.

I was good enough to hit most things so long as the instructor was telling me when to shoot. Otherwise, I got overexcited and jumped the gun. Sounds about right.

P1020471.jpg

J was disturbingly good. I blame it on all the videogame playing.

P1020467.jpg

We finished the afternoon off with a pub lunch at the Old Orchard on Park Lane. The portions were huge, and the ambience was really cosy especially since they had their Christmas decorations up. Another point in its favour was the roving bloodhound. Dog = win.

P1020482.jpg

It was a great afternoon in the country, but my shoulder's still a bit sore from the shotgun's kickback. J swears up and down that his shoulder feels fine, but I'm happy to report he's sporting a shoulder bruise just like me. We are a couple of badasses. Lol.

No comments:

Post a Comment