Friday, December 16, 2011

Ice Skating at Somerset House

Okay, so I know I was supposed to write about Zurich and I will, but I went ice skating yesterday and had such a blast that I figure I'll get to Zurich when I get to it.

One of my friends organized a big group of girls to go ice-skating at Somerset House yesterday and we all showed up a little nervous and a lot excited. It had been a while since any of us had gone ice-skating and one of the girls had never gone before!


We showed up at the beautiful outdoor ice rink decorated by Tiffany, which also had a tuck shop shaped like a Tiffany jewel box nearby where you could buy candy and jewelry. How perfect is that?! There was also an enormous Christmas tree overlooking the entire rink and holiday music to keep our spirits up.

We checked our things in the cloak room and made our way to the skate room where we traded in our shoes for skates. I think the real fear struck when we were tightly laced into our skates and there was no turning back. Most of the people there were novice skaters and a queue formed to hold onto the railing as we all made our way onto the ice.

I had gone rollerblading a few times about 5 years earlier, and I think it really helped that ice-skating was actually quite similar. Pretty soon, I was actually skating as opposed to clinging to the rail and trying not to fall. I got confident enough to take the ones who were still nervous around the rink until they asked to be dropped off at a different part of the railing. Everyone started out really nervous but by the end of the hour long session, we were all out on the ice and having fun.


I was actually pretty disappointed when the session ended as I was finally feeling up to speeding up a little bit, but I figured I could always drag J back for a quick session. Oh, and there was a proposal midway through the session where a guy proposed to his girlfriend in the middle of the rink, and we all stood and clapped as they hugged and kissed. It was a great setting for a proposal, and we were just hoping that neither of them would fall on their butt afterwards.

No comments:

Post a Comment