Monday, October 17, 2011

Hello Ibiza, Goodbye Twenties

I never thought I'd see the day, but here I am on the eve of entering my thirties. I should've paid more attention to the clock because I can't figure out where the time went!

But I can figure out that the twenties ought to go out with a bang, rather than a whimper, so J and I planned a weekend away in Ibiza, Spain to celebrate.

I've heard of Ibiza before and its crazy party scene, but I was much more excited about the surf and sun since it's gotten downright freezing in London in the last week.

J and I woke up ridiculously early on Friday morning to catch a minicab to London City airport, where we boarded our 2 hour flight to Ibiza. In a few short hours, we were touching down on the island and I could see that it would be clear, blue skies and warm sun for the day. Hooray!

We hopped into a taxi and arrived at our hotel for the weekend. Since a girl doesn't turn 30 every day, we decided to splurge a bit on the Ibiza Gran Hotel, a five star hotel, which was close to both the airport and to Ibiza Town.

The hotel lobby was absolutely enormous in comparison to the hotels I've gotten used to in Europe, and I was just amazed by the design of the hotel. It's only four years old, and it's got a very modern and minimalist feel to it. A really clean scent was being pumped throughout the hotel, and the place smelled just like how I would imagine heaven to smell.

Which made sense because our hotel room was pretty heavenly. It was a deluxe suite, and some of the features included a jacuzzi on the terrace, a whirlpool tub, two plasma TVs and a view of both the pool area and the marina.







 

The hotel was so amazing and we were pretty tired from getting up so early that I made the executive decision that we would be lounging about the hotel all day and taking some time to enjoy the pool.

Although the entire hotel was fully booked, there were only a few people out in the pool area. J and I took advantage to splash around in the adult pool and generally cause a ruckus when we weren't napping on the giant daybed. It was great - it's been way too long since I've cannonballed.

All the horseplay made us pretty hungry, and we went in search of food, but to our surprise, none of the restaurants were open. Apparently, the onsite restaurant wouldn't open until 8:30pm, and we were way to hungry to wait 2 hours for dinner.

Have I mentioned that room service is a godsend? J and I always love ordering room service, and this trip was no exception. We had ordered room service for lunch, and we ordered it again for dinner. It looked like we were collecting trolleys or something in our suite.

We ended the night with J watching BBC World News, which was the only English speaking channel the hotel had, and I was re-reading Bill Bryson's At Home.

All in all, it was a really nice way of easing into a relaxing holiday.

No comments:

Post a Comment