Sunday, October 30, 2011

Conquering Fears - Marmite

Sorry it's been so long since my last update, but the cold weather has been making it hard to do much of anything. It's definitely autumn, and I just want to curl up on the couch with a blanket and a good book. Needless to say, everything's kind of fallen by the wayside until I've made the mental adjustment to the cold weather.

The nice thing about the cold weather is that it finally got me to try Marmite! Now what is Marmite, you ask? Per Wikipedia:

Marmite is made from yeast extract, a by-product of beer brewing. The British version of the product is a sticky, dark brown paste with a distinctive, powerful flavour, which is extremely salty and savoury. This distinctive taste is reflected in the British company's marketing slogan: "Love it or hate it."


Judging from the description, this doesn't sound at all appetizing. It's even scarier when you ask people to describe the taste, and they just don't have the words. I've been instructed that the best way to eat Marmite is to get a nice piece of toast, spread a thin layer of Marmite and top it off with a slice of cheese. Believe it or not, Starbucks supposedly does a great Marmite and cheese sarnie!

I was at work late one day and the cold weather gave me a craving for some hot food. My work mate was making a Starbucks run, and on an impulse, I asked her to pick up a Marmite sandwich for me. It was hot and gooey with lots of melted cheese - perfect for a cold night!

I didn't hate it and I didn't love it, but I did like it enough to have it again. The best way I could describe it is that it tastes like hyper-concentrated gravy - brown and very salty, but with a much runnier consistency. I cut up my sandwich in bits and shared with some other people that hadn't had it before. Another American hated it, while the Japanese girl liked it.

Of course I couldn't let J get away with not trying Marmite at least once, so I dragged him to a Starbucks the following day and bought him a sandwich. His verdict - he liked it! Definitely enough to eat it again.

Now I just need to try Bovril....

No comments:

Post a Comment