Wednesday, May 18, 2011

What is America?

McDonald's is currently running an ad campaign here in the UK advertising the "Great Taste of America" featuring five different American cities. They've covered Miami and Chicago - I'm still waiting for LA.

The commercials show the following:
  • American footballers
  • The cast of Baywatch
  • Monster trucks
  • A marching band
  • Showgirls
  • A drop top convertible with some major hydraulics
So is this what my home country boils down to?

Oh, and another thing Americans are famous for? Obesity. I think it's a bit of the pot calling the kettle black since the UK is the fattest country in Europe. Their defense? At least we're not as fat as the Americans. Touche.

I think I also thoroughly confused a South African girl in my office when I told her I didn't like "frankfurters." She sputtered, "But Americans love hot dogs!" To be honest, I don't think she believes that I don't like frankies.

No comments:

Post a Comment