Thursday, July 31, 2014

I Can See Clearly Now the Contacts are Gone

I got told off by my mom for not blogging, so I'm back!

It's been a very hectic few weeks, with lots of big events all squeezed in one after the other, which is a  little unusual for me. 

First, I got laser eye surgery! I was under the impression that my vision was so bad that it wasn't possible to correct it with LASIK but luckily, technology has come a long way, and there are two different clinics in London that are capable of taking me and my wonky eyes on. 

I went with the London Vision Clinic since it was recommended by both my GP and optometrist, and it's really close to our flat. In fact, it's just below our old flat, which is just a few streets away! I'm really glad I did, as everything turned out better than I could have hoped. I have 20/20 vision now, and it's wonderfully weird being able to see without glasses or contacts since I've been a slave to both since the fifth grade. I bow down to the surgeon since I had -10 prescription with astigmatism, retinal tears, abnormally large pupils and dry eye. You name it, I had it. 

The healing process was really quick, especially as I had keyhole surgery, which is a bit less traumatic than regular LASIK. I had some minor bruising in my right eye, but it wasn't really visible and my vision has been improving almost daily. (Yes, I have a lot of freckles.) Everything was a bit foggy at first, but it's all clear now, and my eyes are dry first thing in the morning, but I put some drops in, and they're good to go for the rest of the day.


It feels stabilised now after a month, and my light sensitivity feels the same as before. The worst part of the whole process was the day of surgery as I had to put eye drops in every 15 minutes and I couldn't do anything that would strain my eyes such as reading, using the computer or watching TV, and I couldn't exert myself. Which meant just sitting quietly, which I'm absolutely horrible at! At least I'm good at putting things in my eye. I also couldn't wear contacts for 2 weeks leading up to the surgery, but it was all worth it in the end!


Another monumental event is that we sold our condo in Marina del Rey. Our tenant informed us that he was moving to San Francisco, and we decided to put the place on the market rather than looking for another tenant. It was on the market for only two days before we accepted an offer.

It all happened so quickly that I didn't really have a chance to process the fact that I no longer have a home in the US. I got a bit sad about the fact, and J tried to pep me up by reminding me that we'll use the money to buy a nicer place in London. I feel better about it now, but I loved that condo, and I got to live in it for only 6 months before we left for London! The paperwork and due diligence of the selling process wasn't fun at all, since we had a tricksy and demanding buyer on our hands, but we closed a week ago, and it's a done deal, thank goodness.

Now, time to move on!

No comments:

Post a Comment