Monday, February 24, 2014

Week 7: Let Them Eat Gateau

It's been all about cakes lately at school, and I've been porking up big time from eating a cake a day! Classes end too late for me to drop them off at friends' offices, so J and I have been crushing them all by ourselves after dinner. Oops.

This is a Black Forest cake with griotte cherries and creme chantilly with chocolate decoration.


The cakes have almost been too pretty to eat, but I did say 'almost'. This is a chocolate charlotte with Bavarian cream and chocolate ruffles and pistachios for decoration. Yum.

As you can see, we've been working with chocolate this week, and it's been extremely messy. I ended up with cocoa powder on my hat (how?!), but I had  more ingredients in my cake than down my front, which I count as a win. But it's definitely time for a good wash of my uniform.

We've got gateau St. Honore next week, and it's a good opportunity to practice a lot of our skills since the cake has a lot of elements. Pate brisee, choux pastry, creme patissiere, piping, caramel cooking, it's got it all. Chef's creation that we're supposed to replicate: 


Um, we'll see. Gulp.

The weather has also been on the up and up, and we've actually had some dry days. It was mild enough for me to take Casper to the park this past weekend, and a cheeky little sparrow came right up to me to ask for food. Spring really is coming!





No comments:

Post a Comment