Friday, September 20, 2013

Work Perks

J's job can be incredibly demanding at times, but there are some perks. For instance, some of the firm's vendors like to take him on various outings, and he always insists on bringing me along. I'm definitely not complaining!

We got tickets this summer to go to the Longines Global Champions Tour, which is a horse -jumping competition. I'm not quite sure why the camel was there.

P1020246.jpg

We got there during a lull in the action, so we spent some timing shopping the various tents. I'm guessing the people who go to these kinds of events are a bit more posh than I am, as Harrods had a tent along with a bunch of other shops for the toffs in our midst. I picked up a fleece jacket, which fit perfectly for once - I guess I should shop in jockey stores from now on!

Anyway, it was a bit windier than we anticipated, and I ended up bundling up while we watched the horses leap about. Everyone would hold their breath when the horse would launch into a jump, and there would be a collective sigh if the horse touched the hurdle. It was almost comical how in unison everyone was!

P1020228.jpg

We had some awesome seats, and the horses were literally just a few feet away from us.

P1020234.jpg

After a while, J grew a bit bored, and I couldn't help laughing when he asked, "Is this it?" I was freezing cold, so we ended up going home a bit earlier than anticipated, but it was a fun day.

Another fun activity that we got invited to was golfing. We had gone the previous year, and I guess it was time for our annual lesson. We got picked up and driven down to the London Golf Club, which is down in Kent.

P1020383.jpg

It's absolutely beautiful there, and the weather couldn't have been more perfect! We decided to grab some lunch first, and we sat down to enjoy the view of the early morning golfers finishing up their games.

P1020372.jpg

P1020377.jpg

I gobbled down some fish and chips, then we all headed over to our lesson with the golf pro. We remembered a few things from our previous lesson, but it was embarrassing how bad we were when he asked us to take a few practice shots at the driving range. J and I spent a good hour swatting at balls and watching them kind of just roll away. The driving range turned out to be pretty hard work, and I was working up a sweat by the time we moved over to the putting course.

P1020380.jpg

The sad thing is that I'm even worse at putting! I'm guessing I'll may be passable after next year's lesson. I'm guessing at a rate of a lesson a year, I might be able to play with my dad after twenty years or so...



No comments:

Post a Comment