Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Babooning Around

The morning started out with food preparation again - I made the day's food for the warthogs and fed the goats and rabbits. I also helped one of the guys feed the vervet monkeys, and they were not happy about it. Scarlett (the female) jumped at me and decided to try to scratch all the skin off my hands while I held the gate shut.

We had a quick muffin break, and then I was off to babysit in the baby baboon enclosure. No one in my group wanted to do it, and I got stuck holding the buck. I think the reason is that you get really, really disgusting while in there, mostly because the babies will pee and poo on you with abandon. I put on my dirtiest clothes, and the baboons were more than happy to use me as a jungle gym and bathroom. It was only about five minutes after I entered the enclosure that I got pee on my shorts.

_DSC0584.jpg

Just my luck, a tour guide pulled up with tourists in tow while I looked like the baboon queen with two of them curled up on my lap. It was rather strange sitting in a cage while people took pictures.

The rest of my group soon fetched me, and I returned to the food prep area to package some meat to be sold to the local Bushmen. After a quick lunch, we took all of the baby baboons on a walk to a nearby tree. I was a bit nervous since I heard stories about some people who had been bitten quite hard during the walk, but it actually turned out to be quite fun.

_DSC0586.jpg

There were about ten of them, and they would climb on whoever they felt like and then jump on someone else whenever the fancy struck them. Some of them are quite heavy, and it does give you a bit of a start when a fat, warm bundle plops itself on your shoulder without warning.

_DSC0628.jpg

We hung out under a large tree while they climbed and frolicked, and they would occasionally come up to us for a cuddle. I was the reluctant recipient of more than a few kisses from the baboons - gross and funny.

_DSC0560.jpg

_DSC0614.jpg

After making sure the animals got their afternoon meal, I got to count sheep! For reals. I never thought I would do this in real life - only on those nights when I couldn't go to sleep and then only in my mind.

The day finally ended with baby baboon induction, where I learned how to change a baboon's nappy, make baby formula and to give the babies a bath. Sheila, the demonstration baboon, turned out to be more of a shower kind of girl and succeeded in thrashing water over all of us while she fought to get out of her makeshift tub.

Needless to say, the shower that night was amazing - no more baboon pee and dirty bath water!

No comments:

Post a Comment